Monday, December 29, 2008

treasures discovered...

After two hours of driving (hooray for low gas prices!!) and singing at almost-the-top-of-my-lungs, I arrived at my beach destination yesterday afternoon. The time at the beach was absolutely glorious! The day was beautiful--in the 60's with a crisp winter ocean breeze, a brilliant blue sky with not a wisp of a cloud, and sun, sun, sun! One could not ask for a better day of winter weather! And the colors of the rocks and sky and water and sand were all so amazingly bright and clear!

I took far, far too many photos in my three hours there. I am, however, having some uploading difficulty, so I must keep it relatively short today. I had wanted to share the whole day with you in photos, but will do a couple of days of posting to give you some of the best shots. Today I will share with you the special TREASURES God gave to me... (nothing live today... those will be later!) It was a bit difficult to sort out what were actually the "treasures," as the day itself was just so wonderfully delicious!

But here are a few of my favorites... starting with the incredible sparkles on the water!!


...a couple of lovely stripey treasures ...


Now, don't be frightened! This little jewel is not a scarab or a beetle carcass or any other such creepy thing... it is called a Mermaid's Purse... and it is (do you know?!?!)....

... a shark egg! (empty, of course) but isn't it wonderful!! and, yes, those are bird footprints around it, if you're wondering...

When my mom was out to visit a couple of years ago, we took a day trip up to this beach. It's such a great place--the mountains behind and the ocean before... and many times, nice shells to be found and taken home as souvenirs of a delightful day. I had found a few sand dollars here on a past visit, and I had hoped, perhaps, my mom would find one, too. I knew it would thrill her to find one. We had prayed even for some special treasure--if not a sand dollar, something else fun. And, she found not only one, but TWO sand dollars on that trip! God is so good! : )

So, while I was combing the beach yesterday, I called my mom to chat for a bit. I was exclaiming over some sea creatures I was examining and mentioned that it would be cool to find another sand dollar. Not too much longer after the comment, while I was still talking with her, I FOUND ONE!!! It was a baby one, no bigger than a dime... but beautiful!

Also while still on the phone with her, I stumbled across this wonderful bit of sandy love!!

(She's used to hanging out with me while I stop a million times for some photo opportunity or another--she's quite patient that way!--and the phone conversation was no exception!! I kept saying, "hold on a sec--gotta take a picture...")

Isn't this heart great?!

And last, but definitely not least, on the Treasures list was a heart rock... one I could NOT take home with me, as it really was a heart boulder!! (I probably should have taken a photo from further away for perspective, but trust me, this is too big to go in my pocket--about 3ft wide!) BIG LOVE. actually, big green mossy love! : )

And, I was especially thrilled to find this heart rock, as I was only able to see it due to the low, low tide! If the tide were up, the rock would have been under water, and I would never have seen the love!


Thank You, God, for these many treasures at the sea... I am grateful!!

7 comments:

  1. What a rich bounty of treasures you've found! So many little gifts the ocean tosses your way...Love the Sandy and Mossy hearts! Can't wait to see more photos of your special day...


    Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. ~ James 1:17

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow! Love these ... my heart just leaped with joy at the SON shining off the water in the first picture. Wow! Wow! Wow! I love it when God shows off. :) And, the other pictures are awesome. I especially love the heart in the sand. God showed my sweet daughter another heart this week. I'll post it tomorrow. I thought of you when she found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for making me feel warm on a cold, cold day...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You find the greatest things; I love the fact you found some hearts, too. I've never been much of a beach person (prefer the mountains), but your pictures make me want to go hang out with a camera and a frisbee for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos--one of my favorite things to do is take my camera to the beach and just wander. Thanks for your kind comments on my blog, and Happiest of New Years to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks, everybody, for stopping by to share in my beach adventure with me! :) i'm glad you all enjoyed the photos! it sure was fun taking them all... (and so many more! so glad for digital!!)

    debra, that is so fun that you thought of me when your daughter sighted the heart...can't wait to see it!

    and, dave, you would love this beach--it's a bit Northern California with the mtns and spikey cedarish trees! the best of both worlds! (the woods are my other favorite place but not many of those around here!)

    so glad to warm your day with my little bit of sunshine, billy!

    and kimberly, i am truly blessed!! God is good!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darling, you are so very fortunate to spot the hearts!! The sandy one is amazing for can you imagine its ' vulnerablity'? It could have been deformed anytime by wind, waves, a foot or... wAHHHH! You're such a blessed girl to have these to end your 2008 collection!

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you've stopped by! I love hearing from you and can't wait to read your comments! Let me know what's on your mind and your heart today...