Tuesday, August 12, 2008

mightier than the thunder of many waters...

My last few days have been full of continually trying to find accurate and up-to-date news on the situation in the nation of Georgia (re: conflict with Russia). My sister and her family live in the capital city of Tbilisi, and we have been a bit anxious as the fighting has increased and moved deeper into Georgia proper and closer to Tbilisi. We have only had a few words from them (thank You, God, for email via phones!) saying "we are ok. pray for Georgia." It is a bit of a relief to my family and me knowing that the past week or so they have been out of the city somewhere in the mountains (though we're not sure where that is).

I am reminded, however, that God is far bigger than anything here on earth! Whenever we think of the power of nature (tsunamis, earthquakes, tornadoes) or of powerful nations or of anything else that is great and mighty, and even terrifying, we must remember that God is so much mightier than any of it! He created the very universe just by His spoken word! Amazing! We cannot even comprehend!

He tries to give us an idea of His power by comparing it to things we know here on earth--thundering waters: the power of the ocean, its waves crashing on the shore; or waterfalls, pounding onto the rocks below their precipices.

Mightier than the thunder of the great waters,
mightier than the breakers of the sea—
the LORD on high is mighty.
~Psalm 93:4
When I was on a trip to Brazil a couple of years ago, I took a side-trip to Iguassu Falls in southern Brazil. I stayed in a hotel right directly across from the Brazilian side of the falls, and it was so incredible! The sound of the water pounding over the falls was immense! The power of the falls was so intense that it rattled all of the windows in the hotel, and they had little triangular pieces of wood wedged in the window frames to lessen the rattling.

As I walked the pathway next to the falls, I discovered this wonderful plaque embedded in the hillside along the walkway:

What a wonderful reminder, placed right there next to those very dramatically-pounding falls! I was thankful for the person who had thought to place it there to remind all those who would pass of the majesty and greatness of God!

Listen for a moment to the sound...

And, as the sign says, "God is mightier than all our troubles!" Listen... and remember... God is MIGHTY!! (and, please pray for peace and restoration in Georgia.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you've stopped by! I love hearing from you and can't wait to read your comments! Let me know what's on your mind and your heart today...