Wednesday, August 20, 2008

with the eyes of a child...

Matthew 18:2-3 He called a little child and had him stand among them. And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.

I know it's probably taking the verse a bit out of context, as I am using it here...but perhaps not so much. Jesus was talking about attitude of heart, and that is really what, I, too, am referring to-- a heart attitude of childlikeness.
Jesus was addressing the state of our hearts when He said we must be like children. To me, to be childlike is to be... simple, open, eager, trusting, enthusiastic... full of expectation, full of wonder and amazement...full of joy in the moment. This is what it is to be a child. This is what it is to be childlike. To be in awe of the world and its experiences. To find joy in the little things. This, too, I believe is about as close as we can come to heaven while we are here on this earth-- to be in awe of God and this world He has created... to find joy in the simple things, in the details. To take delight in the people and gifts of our daily lives...to laugh and to be ALIVE...
I was treated tonight to a little piece of heaven in the form of my neighbor's 2yr old and a tube of glow sticks. We turned off the lights, lit up the glow sticks, and had a blast playing with them in so many ways--wearing them, twirling them, making shapes and animals out of them. His eyes were lit up with delight--almost as brightly as the glow sticks! And what joy it was to play and to enjoy and to be a child with him.
Take time to get in touch with the child inside you... (a tube of glow sticks is a great help if you're feeling just too grown up!) Face the day with the eyes (and heart) of a child and take hold of a piece of heaven ...

photos: 2007 July 4th fun with my nephews, niece, sister, and several tubes of glowsticks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm so glad you've stopped by! I love hearing from you and can't wait to read your comments! Let me know what's on your mind and your heart today...