Saturday, October 11, 2008

fall cleaning...

Today I am doing some serious fall cleaning. You know, like spring cleaning but a bit further into the year! As I've been cleaning, I've been praying-- for and about many things, but mostly peace. Peace, not as the world gives, but that amazing and inexplicable peace that only comes from God:

...My peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives...
~John 14:27

Our nation and our society are in the midst of some very uneasy and disconcerting times right now--an upcoming election with many serious issues and much at stake, a devastating financial crisis on Wall Street that will affect most of us in very tangible ways, high gas prices, continuing drought in some states and damaging storms in others, people losing homes and jobs, world terrorism... this list seems to go on and on. None of it sounds good. Most of it sounds disheartening and downright frightening. There are so many reasons for people to be anxious and afraid and worried about what the future may hold.

I found myself over the past few days feeling very anxious as well... how will this financial crisis affect my job? what will I do if...? what will it be like if the opposing candidate wins the Presidency? Big things and very worrisome things... if I focus on them... if I focus on the uncertainty... if I lose focus of Who is in control, of Who holds my future, of Who holds me in the very palm of His hand.

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
Jeremiah 29:11

And so, this morning while cleaning my bedroom, I prayed and began to clean house in my heart and mind as well. I was reminded that though I cannot know what the future holds, I DO know Who holds the future. (if you'll pardon the overused saying) And, as I dusted my ceiling fan and poured out my heart to my Father--my doubts, my fears, my anxious thoughts, my worries-- He helped me with the heart-cleaning as He listened. And He reminded me that He cares about this big ol' world far more than I ever could... and He cares about me far more than I could ever comprehend.

And we came to a place of agreement for today... that I will give it all to Him to worry about, that I will CHOOSE to trust what He has told me in His Word, and that I will believe, that no matter what the situation LOOKS like here, He is not only in control but also right with me in the midst of this scary (and joyful thing) we call life. And He, in return, will give me peace... peace beyond my understanding, peace that defies the current circumstance, peace that is deep and lasting and life-giving.

I think it is a good agreement. As Kicking Bird said to Lt. John Dunbar in Dances With Wolves, "Good trade." I do not fool myself thinking it is an easy task. It's not. It's hard work, and it takes perseverance, but it is a good trade... a great trade, really. I give my worries and cares to a loving Father, He takes care of making the world go 'round, and He gives me a peace in the depths of my heart and my mind that is beyond anything I could come up with on my own. He'll do the worrying for me... I just have to trust in Who He is. Good trade. And, now, I think I'll get back to my cleaning...

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. ~1Peter 5:7


But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
~John 14:26, 27


1 comment:

  1. I'm another ' worrier ' by nature. The folding of LB has brought much chain effects that have definitely hit Singapore. Until yesterday, I just told hubby about my worries, over my family and etc... there's hardly peace on my mind too.

    Thanks to your reminder of the all time powerful message : Do not worry... He is in control. I guess I just have to embrace His peace and trust Him to do the best for us. Surely, the Lord our God isn't going to forsake us, but He shall demonstrate great grace to many during such times... I pray that His peace stays with us always. Amen.

    ReplyDelete

I'm so glad you've stopped by! I love hearing from you and can't wait to read your comments! Let me know what's on your mind and your heart today...